Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Lemonade Martini

I make all martinis based on fruits exactly the same way... based on the same formula. Appletinis, mango martini, strawberry martini, lemon drop, etc. When I teach people how to make these drinks I tell them that the best way to make a great tasting drink every time is to simply use lemon vodka, splash of sour, triple sec and lime juice; then add whatever fruit that drink requires. The exception being with the appletini which I instruct to add a splash of ginger ale as well.
When I make these cocktails, I do a little more leg work than my students, and the result is much more delicious. I muddle a quarter of a lemon, tablespoon of sugar, and a couple of lime slices. Top with ice, add vodka and cointreau, then add a splash of whatever fruit. (the same formula is excellent for making margaritas, but with the citrus reversed. Muddle a quarter lime, a couple of slices of lemon and a teaspoon of sugar.)
In the case of a lemonade, I add ice, then a part with water. Shake, then add a splash of sprite, and a heavy splash of soda.
For a Lemonade Martini, I rim the glass with sugar, put it in a cooler while assembling the drink. I use a good vodka and cointreau. If someone orders a lemondrop I make them this, and they always say it is the best lemon drop they have ever had.

No comments: